What you’ll hear in this episode:
• Some of the different contexts in which students may study abroad and how these contexts might impact their experiences as international students.
• Some of the amazing benefits of studying abroad!
• Some of the common challenges that international students may face.
• Some of my recommendations for current and future international students to help them make the most of their experiences abroad.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
• I mentioned that there is a bunch of interesting research on the benefits of learning a foreign language (beyond being and to communicate with other people, of course). For a taste of some of this research, check out this article from The Atlantic and this one from The Guardian.
• In this episode, I mentioned that back in episode 5, we discussed culture shock and some of the ways that the stress of adaptation to a new environment can add up and take a toll in different areas of our lives.
• I also mentioned the International Therapist Directory, which is a great resource for searching for therapists around the world who speak English and who are familiar with the particular changes that those living abroad face.
Stay in Touch!
To receive monthly summaries of podcast episodes and stay up to date on other announcements and resources, sign up for the Mindful Expat Podcast Newsletter! (When you sign up, you’ll also receive a free mp3 guided mindfulness exercise to practice on your own!)
And, finally, if you’d like to get in touch and leave me a voice message with a question or comment that may be played in a future episode, you can do so here!